Sunday, September 4, 2011

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. -Fran Lebowitz

Note: This is a post from Thursday that I didn't have a chance to publish until today.


I moved into my apartment yesterday! I lugged all of my oversized, overweight luggage with me to the apartment and got the keys after work. It is furnished, so it has furniture, kitchen stuff, etc. I got to put my own sheets on the bed and hung my towels in the bathroom. If any of you have ever stayed at the Dolin B&B, some of the bedding might look familiar. :) I’m pretty excited about that.

The first thing I did when I got to the apartment is go to the grocery store. Tonight is their “late night”, which means they close at 7:30. And this is no Safeway. On my shopping list was soap (hand, dish, etc), paper products, and some food to last until the weekend. Here are my purchases: 

Yes, for you eagle eyes, I purchased Weight Watchers milk. It was the only one with less than about 5% fat. I found everything I was looking for, even my number one priority item which tried to hide from me at the store: disinfecting wipes. And when I wiped everything off, I was pleasantly surprised at how clean this place is. Yay!

After I put some things away, I decided to make dinner. I haven’t had a kitchen or anywhere to cook since I left home, so I was pretty excited about the greek spaghetti I was going to make. I put it all together, tried one bite (see picture of ignorant bliss just before my first bite below), and it was disgusting. I wasn’t sure what the culprit was at first since it could have been one of four ingredients, so I conducted a small experiment. I eliminated the cinnamon since I had brought it from home, and I was pretty sure that was okay. I also decided the noodles couldn’t possibly taste like that. So, rather than eating a spoonful of butter first, I decided I would isolate the cheese and try a bite. It was definitely the cheese. This surprises me because I’m pretty sure I’ve never met a cheese I didn’t like. So I introduced myself to the nasty cheese and threw him back in the fridge. And now looking back through the pictures he sat so smugly front and center in my grocery store products picture. I’m on the hunt for a replacement parmesan.

 This is how my dinner looked before and after I ate it.

Most shocking at the grocery store was that it costs over $12 for a small  quart of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. And other ice cream is really expensive too. Since the bakery right underneath my apartment has pain au chocolat, I will cut the complaining short and will just have to eat ridiculous amounts of chocolaty croissant. Life is rough. 

Here are some pictures of my apartment. It has a little bathroom, a little kitchen, and a family/ bedroom. It’s actually pretty nice, but to put my complaining from earlier posts in perspective, it’s about 350 square feet and costs over $2500/ month. Hopefully the furniture is worth about $700/ month… yikes. 






My first client visit yesterday went well. At least I think it did. Tomorrow I have an appointment to get a real Swiss bank account. 


Also, update on the office bathroom, there is no key. I just wasn’t pushing the door hard enough. I’m a little disappointed that I had to use one of my stupid questions on the bathroom situation, but, needless to say, I’m pretty glad I got that one figured out.


No comments:

Post a Comment