Wednesday, August 7, 2013

“If you want to see paradise on earth, come to Dubrovnik.” - George Bernard Shaw

Whit and I woke up at 4am last Monday to board our plane to Dubrovnik, Croatia. Actually, I opened my eyes at 4 when the alarm went off, and Whit was already up in the kitchen waiting for me to wake up. Apparently she was still jet lagged.

We packed all the fashionable clothes we could into our EasyJet size approved backpacks. We had heard that the Croatians are extra fashionable and that you may not get served at a restaurant if you aren't dressed trendy enough for them, so we were a little worried. Luckily for Whitney, she was traveling with her most fashion-forward friend. I threw my white Adidas visor on my head (sun protection is always in style) on top of my head, and we were off. 

Dubrovnik is absolutely beautiful. It is so beautiful that the heat almost doesn't matter. We checked in to our hotel, but, surprisingly, the guests from the night before weren't already checked out at 7:30am. So Whit, her straw hat, my visor, and I headed out for a walk through town.







The old town has windy streets, stairs, and gorgeous views. It was so hot and humid that Whit and I made up new terms for our levels of sweat. It was very sexy. Our hotel was 74 steps up, and then our room was another 20 on the third floor. We finally checked in to the hotel at noon, and Pero our "hero", the owner of the hotel, offered us a shot and some water and all was right with the world. Whit remembered him from a Rick Steves video she watched, so we were pretty much rubbing elbows (or taking shots) with the stars.

People watching in Croatia is just as interesting and shocking as all of the wars they have been in. We headed to the beach where everyone wears a bikini, no matter how big, small, short, or tall. If they were wearing a top, that is. We also saw a little photo shoot of a girl in her swimsuit... with aquasox on. Talk about fashionable. We cooled off as we took our first swim in the cool sea of heaven. Then we decided to go beach hopping so we made our way to a rocky, cement-y beach near town. After basking in the glorious sun for 10 minutes, a native Beagle pooped right next to us, and we decided to go back to the hotel to get ready for the evening. That was the last time I even attempted to use any sort of heated hair appliance or product. After that it was just my hair, a hairband, and the humidity.

We walked the wall of Dubrovnik, and it was one of the most awesome things I have ever done. The wall goes all the way around the old town, and the views are incredible. The sweat just kept dripping into my smile. I can't believe I didn't take a Croatian lover. John had nothing to worry about since anyone attracted to me at that time has a serious lack of judgment.













We had dinner at an okay restaurant (serving tunny fish haha) with bad service, so we were hoping that this didn't mean that we weren't good looking enough since it would have made it a long week. When we got the bill we noticed a "cover charge" for our bread, butter, olive oil, salt, etc, more than half of which we didn't even get served. Usually when I pay cover I expect some dancing, but we didn't dance on the table. At least that night.


No comments:

Post a Comment