Wednesday, August 14, 2013

"It's time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad, and I'd much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure." - Ernie Harwell



I am somewhere over the Atlantic right now, approaching my favorite ice country of Greenland. Only six and a half hours until I am back home. I even checked “US resident” on my little customs declaration form, which will reduce the questions from my friendly customs officer. Now it’s official.

Despite the fact that I am actually on the plane and had to carry all of my stuff on the bus twice (yesterday and today), it still hasn’t hit me that I am moving back. I feel like I am going back for a visit. Also, some of the novelty wore off when we went home last month. I got to drive and go to Target, so this time I’m not chomping on the bit to get behind the wheel on a Sunday and go crazy like I was before.

I am a little worried about reverse culture shock. I have gotten used to the, let’s say, less stressed attitude about work. Unfortunately my company did not offer me the same salary and vacation in Seattle as Switzerland, despite my compelling email asking them to support my current lifestyle of weekend trips to Rome and French wine.

I can’t wait to sleep in our house tonight. John moved everything over, other than what is currently in the UK that is, and at last report we only had 12 boxes left to unpack. I am wondering if he found my hair dryer and straightener, which I’m sure were top priorities for him. Could be an interesting hair day at work tomorrow. People are going to wonder what Switzerland did to me.

In fact, Switzerland did a lot to me and not much at all at the same time. A fourteen hour flight happens to be a good time to reflect. The main thing that Switzerland did for / to me was make me proud of myself… well clearly it didn’t provide humility. But as conceited as it is, I am proud of myself for doing it. I fulfilled a dream of mine that made me uncomfortable in many ways (kissing at work, leaving family and friends, carrying six suitcases at the same time, screwing up my French, owning a bidet, etc), sad (missing family and friends, spending $10 for ice cream, not being there for several important life events, work visa issues, etc), and nervous (starting at a new office, meeting a crazy person from Geneva craigslist who wanted to buy my used toilet brush, wondering if our things would actually arrive, hoping our relationships with people back home wouldn’t suffer, praying that our renters didn’t destroy our house, etc). I feel like this is the most adventurous thing I have ever done, and I’m usually not an adrenaline junkie (see nervous above).

Several people have asked me throughout the last two years whether I would do it all again. My response has varied from yes to hell no to maybe to absolutely. Now, looking back at everything as a whole, I would. There were deliriously happy times, awful sad times, and some regular boring times. But there are those at home too. I smile and cry wherever I go. That is why I also don’t think this experience has changed who I am as a person. Lucky for my friends and family. :)

Now, on to the next adventure. Au revoir Geneva.

P.S. I came home to over 100 roses scattered throughout the house. There is stuff everywhere, but the roses make it all better, and my husband is the greatest. He not only moves to Switzerland with me, but he surprises me with flowers and peanut butter triple chocolate ice cream when I get home. Also, an important note, all future adventures will be in areas where peanut butter triple chocolate ice cream is readily accessible. It is just not right to live without it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment