I was chatting with a controller at one of my clients today. He is originally German but now Swiss and has worked all over the world for several years, including a lot of time spent in the US. He detected through my accent that I'm American, so he started asking me about where I'm from, etc. I'm always a little nervous when people ask me whether I'm American because you never know if that's a positive or a negative. He immediately started comparing American working styles to European working styles, and, although they are all stereotypes, I completely agree. And it was really interesting that they came from a European. Interesting that we both perceive the same things.
Some comparisons:
In the US, the answer is always yes. And then they figure out how to do it later.
In Europe, they are always trying to figure out why the answer could be no.
In the US, if you tell people to change something, they do. And often without much discussion as to why.
In Europe, people ask several questions over several days, figure out why it won't work, and then don't do it.
In the US, if you want something fixed, it's fixed. Anytime. Quickly.
In Europe, if you want something fixed, hopefully it's not after hours, and hopefully they get around to it within the month.
In the US, people make work problems their problems. And they'll fix them.
In Europe, work problems aren't your problems because you go home at the end of the day and get paid at the end of the month.
It seems easy to tell which are positive and which are negative, since I'm American and of course things should be done right away. And why would you say no to a client? But if I turn it around and think like a European, it doesn't seem so clear. At least they don't check email on their vacations.
No comments:
Post a Comment