Monday, December 10, 2012

"When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb and to seek the mountain view." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox



I have learned something about myself in Switzerland. Well, I have learned many things about myself, not the least of which is to hold on to the railing in the bus at all times so you don’t fall and knock over a lady with a crutch, not that I would know from personal experience. I digress.

I have learned something important about myself. And it is something very important for John to know, although he probably already figured it out nine and a half years ago. I like to go to new places and try new things. I knew this on a surface level before; for example I would always pick to try a new restaurant rather than go to one I already have been to, even if I loved it. But I didn’t realize how deep it ran. It apparently translates into where I want to live as well. This is good and bad news for John, the one who craves the familiar. I have realized that while I am definitely not bored living here, I would be if I did for a long time. Actually, bored isn’t the right word. I think the word is restless.

I am really looking forward to next year because I get to travel a lot to several different countries. I love that. And I love it because the places I go will be new to me. But after that, they won’t be. And then I’ll want to go to more new places.

I do like home, and sometimes I get homesick. And maybe the reason I feel happy exploring is because I have a home to go back to. So the bad news for John is that I apparently get restless in places easily. The good news is that now I know this, and now I know that moving out of Seattle would keep me entertained for about two years, and then I would have the same feeling again. So it’s not personal, and I just have to figure out how to manage. I have a hard time imagining that Paris wouldn’t keep me occupied though...

No comments:

Post a Comment