Thursday, November 17, 2011

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein


Tonight I am in Bern, the capital of Switzerland. On my way to dinner I happened upon a large crowd and made my coworker ask what was going on. We stayed to watch a really cool light show projected onto the capital building. The pictures really don’t do it justice. I almost don't even want to put them up because it was so much more awesome in person. Use your imagination and add music.

We also stopped by Einstein’s house. The second floor here is where the theory of relativity was founded.

On the home front, I am really craving noodles. Bad. I just wish we had a stove to cook them on… our kitchen appliances are still limited to a microwave and a fridge with a burned out light bulb. Last week we finally ordered an oven / stove. After the first fiasco when we were at the stove place and they told me the stoves don’t come with the proper cables, and they didn’t know where to get them, I was happy to have finally placed the order and have a delivery date. Homemade spaghetti, here I come.

I am out of town all this week and all next week, and, in our desperation, we decided that John had to buck up and be the one home when it was delivered. We couldn’t wait another three weeks until I could be home for the big event. I received a call from the delivery man at about 8:23am asking for the code to the front entry of the apartment. So far, so good. Then I got another call at about 8:26am from the same guy saying that our outlet was too old for the stove and that the stove he had in the truck was broken. He said he was leaving but didn’t want John to wonder why he left leaving no stove behind. Long story short – we have about five more steps before we can get the stove installed, including contacting the agency to get them to send someone to fix it and then re-calling the stove guy. And we ate quesadillas last night, straight from the microwave.

The other hassle of life at the moment is getting John a phone. After having visited our local Swisscom store more often than my own office in the last few weeks, I think we almost have a phone for him. It is a long, complicated story but involves an over $1000 deposit since my work visa isn’t valid for the entire two year contract. We’re supposed to pick up the phone on Saturday. John also had to go to the Swisscom shop by himself today and to the post office to pay for the deposit. He even went to the grocery store by himself. I’m not sure what he needs me for here.

Oh, and a Wednesday night slot opened up for laundry. We have some good things on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment