Thursday, February 14, 2013

“A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.” - Czech proverb


When Whitney, Jenn, and I backpacked around Europe in college, we would always make it a point to have a “cultural dinner” in each city. I’m pretty sure when we went to Prague our cultural dinner was Italian food. It’s a culture somewhere at least.

My trip to Prague this time was very different than the last, to my employer’s relief I’m sure. I didn’t go to any parties with people dressed up as procreation matters. I didn’t sleep in a hostel with 12 beds per room stealing whiffs of my bed neighbor’s cologne. And I didn’t get dropped off by a bus driver in the middle of nowhere when my ticket suddenly “expired” halfway between two stops.

I did, however, do something I have never done before (not that I have done any of those other things twice). I went to a cultural dinner, by myself, not Italian, and ordered a beer. On my own. I was at a brewery, and it was real Czech beer. I have never missed John so much in my life. I guess maybe I missed him more on day 89 of being away for three months, but he would have loved this place.  

For dinner, I ordered the Hungarian Specialty #1. Surprisingly, it wasn’t spaghetti. 

No comments:

Post a Comment