It was a
normal day. We had done our normal grocery shopping just over the French border.
We took our normal bus route home. We went through the normal border crossing, which most of the time doesn't even have anyone there, on
the way back.
Except this
time the bus was stopped.
Two very
tall men got aboard and said “Passports!”
John and I
got ours out and waited until they got to us.
They looked
at our passports. They looked at us. They looked at our grocery bags. They
asked what was in them.
All of a
sudden I forgot everything we just bought. I mumbled something about cereal,
veggies, chicken, and pork.
PORK?!
Officer: “How
much do you have?”
D: “Ummm… I
don’t know… a couple of kilograms…but that includes the chicken…”
Officer: “The
pork. How much do you have exactly?”
D: long pause
as I try to remember how much pork we bought, the conversion from pounds to
kilos, and how to speak French
“Uhhh,
maybe one and a half kilograms?”
Officer: “Come
with us.”
We headed
into the search room that consisted of four white walls and one metal table in
the middle. Something like where you would envision people are strip searched
before they are admitted into prison. Which is what I started imagining.
“What are
you in here for?”
“I killed
someone. They deserved it. What are you in here for?”
“I had too
much pork.”
And then I
would die in jail.
They had us
unload some of our groceries and kept asking for the pork. They asked if we
understood French, and I couldn’t decide if I should say yes or play dumb and
say no. In the interest of honesty, since it’s always easier to keep your story
straight that way, I said yes. I figured if this really did get escalated to
the Supreme Court like I imagined, I should be honest from the beginning. They started
telling us about the pork regulations and how all pork over ½ kilogram per
person must be declared at the border. I knew there were limits to what you
could bring over the border, but I didn’t realize the pork limit was so low and
that it’s such a touchy subject. Must be some kind of French pig lobbying
scheme.
The tall
men decided to let us go without a fine this time. I decided not to ask if I
could get a picture with them for the blog before we left. Under my breath I
told John to pack our stuff, very quickly... FASTER, and we got on the next bus
home. Good thing they didn’t check for bus tickets, because there is a small possibility that we might not have been totally legal there
either.
My heart
was racing all the way home. It was my first real run-in with the law. I'm sorry Mom and Dad. I know you're disappointed. But I will never smuggle pork again. Maybe drugs. But not pork…that was scary.
Omg, funniest story ever!!! I even read it out loud to my mom. :) you are now known as the "pork smuggler".
ReplyDelete