Exactly one
year ago today, John arrived in Geneva. I remember getting ready to meet him at
the airport. I cleaned the apartment, prepared dinner, and did my hair. I put
on a cute outfit with boots and a peacoat and tracked his flight for almost the
entire 14 hours he was in the air. I was sooo excited.
I searched
through the lines of people coming out of the doors of the baggage claim area.
Finally, I saw him. I started waving and smiling. This is how I imagined our
reunion.
He dragged
his six suitcases towards me, gave me a half smile / half grimace, and asked me
where the bathroom was. It was better than I imagined.
We went
back to the apartment, he fell asleep on our Ikea fold out couch almost
immediately, and me and my nice hair watched Say Yes to the Dress.
Since then
we have traveled, eaten too much cheese, spent way too much time together,
laughed, fought, made memories, and, most importantly, survived.
There were
times when I wasn’t sure we would make it to this point. Actually, there were
times when I was sure we wouldn’t. Like the day I came home from work and John
told me that it only cost $5000 for him to fly home the next day.
Hon, I am
so proud of you. You did something totally out of your comfort zone, and you
did it with a smile on your face (most of the time). You are the best. You have
made my dreams possible and put yours on hold. There isn’t anyone I would
rather live with in a 50 square meter apartment in a country over 5000 miles
away from home. Home is wherever I’m with you.
I promise
we’ll still move back to our Seattle home though.
Happy one
year anniversary!
Ok. Pretty sure I'm crying. Love you, Dolins!!
ReplyDelete