Sunday, May 20, 2012

“The best vitamin for making friends: B1”


John and I had friends over to our apartment for the first time this weekend. We have a “couple crush” on David and Tricia, so we were excited to have them over. It was a little embarrassing to have to mention in our email inviting people to dinner that we don’t actually own a dining table, but Tricia admitted that they don’t either, and they have been here longer than we have. Match made in heaven.

We decided to have a fiesta, so we had chips (a delicacy that is hard to find around here), salsa (called fajita sauce), and mojitos for appetizers. We then had enchiladas with John’s homemade enchilada sauce and salad with my new homemade dressing. And for our Mexican dessert, we had M&M cookies. Ole!

We both thought the food was really good, went through a few bottles of wine, and had a really fun time, so hopefully they did too. Or at least we hope they had enough wine so they think they had a good time.

Making new friends is a little like dating, which doesn’t bode well for the Dolins considering, needless to say, we don’t have a lot of dating experience between the two of us. I’m pretty sure awkward dances at 15 years old don’t count. For example, we talked about a Christmas festival up in France that both of us want to go to this year. I suggested that we go together. Then as soon as the suggestion came out of my mouth I wondered if that was too much. Are things moving too fast for them? I feel ready for the next level, but what if they don’t? Can I email them today to see if they want to hang out again soon? Is that too soon? Should we kiss them goodnight? Okay, not the last one, but you get the idea. Although in France you never know who you should be kissing, who you shouldn’t be kissing, and how many times, but that’s for another post.

2 comments:

  1. Haha. Michael & I would have gone in for the awkward tri-kiss. Good thing we're not there to scare away your new friends!!

    Good choice on the fiesta. A fiesta never fails. Who doesn't love chips & fajita sauce?! A classic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post-- making new friends is like dating, especially when you are making "couple" friends. It sounds like you all enjoy each others company! Someone had to make the first move and bring up the festival so way to take charge. :)

    ReplyDelete