Tuesday, October 11, 2011

“We now know a thousand ways not to build a light bulb” - Thomas Edison

My kitchen smells like farts. Considering my apartment is “open concept” with the kitchen open to the family room, this is disturbing. The first night I was here I thought I smelled natural gas coming from under the sink. I skyped John and made him look under the sink where he confirmed there are no actual gas lines. Still, I was a little worried that night that I would fall asleep on the air mattress and never wake up. 


I have since determined that the smell is a leaky pipe under the kitchen sink that overflows when I run the water too much. The landlord sent me the phone number of a plumbing company to call last week, but I kept putting it off since I was so nervous to call. I finally decided no one should have to live with the smell of stale farts, at least when their husband is half way across the world. I called the plumber today while Britney and my boss were on their cigarette break so they wouldn’t hear me.

And I have an appointment on Friday morning for them to come fix it! It was one of my proudest moments so far. I understood everything they said to me, I think they understood everything I said to them, and now I’ll just have to wait and see who shows up with what kinds of tools on Friday.

I also had an electrician come over yesterday to put in some light fixtures in the bathroom and kitchen. I’m down to only one lightbulb hanging from the ceiling naked with no cover. 




In other news, I received an email from the shipping company today that our furniture has arrived in England, but it was selected for random search so will be delayed an extra 2-3 business days. Attached to the email was an invoice for the extra charges for the search. Apparently I have to pay for those. If they had a lottery here I would have bought a ticket because today is my lucky day.

3 comments:

  1. Yay Boat! If you can handle a plumber and an electrician in a single week, then there isn't anything you can't handle over there! Question - did you have to lookup the German translation of "stale farts," or did you know that one off the top of your head? Either way, your communication skills are definitely impressive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Your Adventures! Love Your Blogspot! I am so very proud of you! Glad your Mama is on her way. Much Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This morning I read every posting, some for the second time! Absolutely love hearing from you! Great Storytelling!!!!

    ReplyDelete